DIY pom poms are fun to make for kids and adults alike. The traditional method of how to make pom poms cardboard uses rings that you wrap the yarn around. But did you know there is a faster and easier way to make pom poms without any fancy tools? Use your fingers! You can also make mini pom poms with a fork. Keep reading for these great and easy options.
DIY Pom Poms -How to Make Pom Poms with 4 Easy Methods Tutorial
There are 4 methods to make DIY pom poms
- FINGERS – This is the fastest method to make pom poms and all you need is your fingers! The result is not quite as accurate and fluffy as using cardboard or a pom pom maker.
- FORKS – Makes tiny little cute pom poms. With a fork you can make much smaller pom poms than using other methods.
- CARDBOARD RINGS – Slowest method but gives more control and better to mix colors. Gives great, consistent results and large fluffy pom poms. You can also make a giant pom pom since large pieces of cardboard can be used.
- POM POM MAKER – These plastic devices can be bought from a craft store and will quicken your pom pom making. They are generally cheap and come in numerous sizes.
DIY Pom Poms – Supplies for Yarn Pom Poms
To make DIY pom poms you will need :
- YARN – I used 8 ply (DK) and 12ply knitting yarn for my samples but any thickness will work. You can also try cotton crochet yarn for a modern trendy look. The thicker the yarn, the fewer times you will need to wind it around your hand. Your yarn can be wool, acrylic, cotton, or a blend.
- SCISSORS – You need sharp scissors to get nice clean cuts on the ends of the yarn.
- METHOD 2 – Fork
- METHOD 3 – Cardboard
- METHOD 4 – Pom-Pom Maker (Clover pom pom maker is a popular brand but there are also many generic ones on the market.)
- (OPTIONAL) YARN NEEDLE – To attach your pom poms.
That’s a nice short supply list, isn’t it?
Method #1 – DIY Pom Poms by Hand Step by Step Tutorial
Can You Make a Pom Pom with Your Hand?
Yes you certainly can! Using your hand to DIY pom poms is the quickest method of making pom poms. One drawback is that it is a little harder to control the thickness and evenness of the yarn.
How to Make Pom Poms by Hand – The Video
Here is a video I made for you on making these quick DIY pom poms by hand. Enjoy and make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly sewing and craft videos.
Step 1 – Start Wrapping Yarn
Take the end of the yarn and tuck it between your two fingers to keep it from unraveling. Remember not to let go as you start wrapping.
Then wrap the yarn around 3 or 4 fingers leaving the thumb free. The number of fingers you wrap around will determine the size of the finished pom pom.
If you need to make multiple pom poms the same, then count the number of times you wrap it around your hand.
IMPORTANT – Wrap loosely as you will find it gets tighter and tighter the more times you wrap. You need to be able to get the loops off your hand in the next step.
Step 2 – Remove the Yarn
When you are happy with the volume, take the yarn carefully off your hand. Make sure it all stays neatly together. If it comes off in a mess, that means you wrapped too tight. Try again wrapping a little looser.
Step 3 – Tie the Center
Take a 6 inch (15cm) piece of yarn and wrap it around the center of the DIY pom poms a couple of times. Pull very tight and tie a double knot. (If you want a shorter or longer tie, cut the length of yarn to double your desired length)
Cut the ends of the center string. Alternatively, leave the ends long if you want to attach them to a clutch or purse, or knitted hat.
Step 4 – Shape and Cut
Fluff up your DIY pom poms and trim the ends to shape.
All done! Happy, fluffy DIY pom poms.
Method #2 – DIY Pom Poms with a Fork
This next DIY pom pom method makes small pom poms suitable for use for keyrings, jewelry, and accessories. They make an especially pretty pom pom garland.
How to Make Pom Poms with a Fork – Video
Watch my Youtube video on how to make pom poms with a fork.
How to Make DIY Pom Poms with a Fork Step by Step
- See the full tutorial on how to make pom poms with a fork including a video.
- Wrap your yarn around a fork until you get your desired thickness.
- Wrap a 6 inch piece of yarn around the center prongs and tie in a knot in the middle of the pom pom. Make sure this is nice and tight. It helps to wrap the yarn a couple of times.
- Remove from the fork and trim the ends.
Method #3 – DIY Pom Poms with Cardboard
Using cardboard rings is the traditional way to make perfect pom poms and gives a consistent size. The thicker you wrap the yarn the fluffier your pom poms.
BIG POM POMS – The best thing about the cardboard method is that you can make any sized pom pom. Keep large cardboard boxes to make giant-sized pom poms.
How to Make Pom Poms Video
The below video will show you how to make pom poms with both cardboard and a pom pom maker.
How to Make Pom Poms with Cardboard Step by Step
- See my tutorial on how to make pom poms with cardboard which includes a video and a printable cardboard template for several sizes. The difference between the inside and outside cardboard circle will determine the size of the pom pom.
- Cut 2 pieces of cardboard ring in a donut shape and a slit on one side.
- Stack the 2 rings together and wrap the yarn around until thick. Use lots of yarn for thick pom poms.
- Use your pair of scissors to cut around the edge in between the 2 rings.
- Use a long piece of yarn to wrap and tie the center between the 2 rings.
- Remove the rings and trim the DIY pom poms.
Method 4 – How to Make Pom Poms with Pom Pom Makers
The last method of making DIY pom poms is using a commercial plastic pom pom maker. These come in various sizes and make perfect fluffy, dense pom poms fast. Pom pom makers are best for small to medium pom poms as you are generally limited to sizes under 2 inches.
- Open the 2 halves of the maker and wind yarn around the rings. Wind the yarn thickly until there is no plastic visible.
- Close the plastic halves with the catch on the side.
- Cut around the edge of the pom pom maker.
- Insert a long piece of yarn in the groove around the edge and tie it tightly to secure the center.
- Open up the pom pom maker and trim the edges.
DIY Pom Poms FAQs
What is the Easiest Method for Making Pom Poms
If you are in a hurry, the easiest way to make a pom pom is with your hand. Wind the yarn around your hand multiple times, carefully remove it and tie it around the center. Cut the ends and you are all done. The best and most accurate method to make pom poms however is using cardboard circles.
How to Make Pom Poms Without a Pom Pom Maker?
The best method for making pom poms without a pom pom maker is using cardboard rings. It will give a very similar fluffy thick pom pom at a fraction the cost. Best of all cardboard can be cut in any size so you can make a custom-sized pom pom.
What is the Best Yarn for Pom Poms
Acrylic yarn in either a DK or worsted weight is the best type of yarn for pom poms.It is cheap, readily available, and easy to wrap. It creates thick, fluffy pom poms that are soft and attractive.
How to Stop a Pom Pom From Falling Apart
If your pom pom is falling apart, then the yarn that ties around the center is too loose. You may be able to separate the pom pom to tie another piece of yarn around the center or tighten the existing one.
DIY Pom Poms – In Conclusion
I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy method to make DIY pom poms. You are now ready for a pom pom craft project!
Please check out my other pom pom articles:
What will you use your DIY pom poms for? Share in the comments.